Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Filing a complaint

Who can file a complaint?

  • A property owner alleging breach of contract, negligence or improper work if the contractor's work was performed within the last year or you purchased a new home and moved in within the last year
  • An employee alleging nonpayment of wages within the past year
  • A supplier alleging nonpayment for materials within the past year
  • A subcontractor alleging non-payment for labor or materials furnished to a primary contractor within the past year
  • A primary contractor against a subcontractor for breach of contract or negligent or improper work if the subcontractor's work was performed within the last 14 months or if the primary contractor built a new home that was first occupied within the last 14 months.

In all cases:

  • The complaint must be filed against a licensed contractor
  • You must give the contractor 30 days’ notice by certified mail that you intend to file a complaint with the CCB. We have a pre-complaint notice that you can generate. You may want your own notice if you have additional information, such as a list of alleged defects.   

How do I file a complaint?

Fill out a complaint form.
You may need to pay a $50 processing fee. 

What is the typical complaint process for residential work?

  • If you are an owner, we schedule an on-site meeting between you and your contractor.
  • A mediator comes to your project site, and listens to both sides.
  • If you reach a settlement, we’ll type up an agreement.
  • If no settlement is reached, you can go to court and ask for a judgment against the contractor. We will give you a copy of our report with observations about whether the work meets industry standards.
  • If you obtain a court judgment and the contractor does not pay you, you may be able to collect from the contractor’s bond.
  • If you already filed in court or you already have a judgment, file the complaint but also include a certified copy of your filed court complaint and/or judgment. A certified copy is a copy of the judgment document signed by the judge that the court clerk stamps and certifies as a true and correct copy of the original.

If you think you have a dispute, file a complaint promptly. Bonds are for limited amounts and there may be multiple people seeking restitution. 

More information

Find answers to common questions here. Or, call 503-934-2247.